Apricot & Lavender Jam
Posted on 23 August 2016
- 1.2KG fresh slightly overripe apricots (stoned and cut in half)
- 1KG White Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Sprigs of Lavender
- Sterilised Jam Jars (approx. 6)
- Place a couple of sprigs or lavender inside the cheese cloth and then seal with some string. Gently hit the cheesecloth in order to release the aroma of the lavender.
- Layer the apricots, lavender cheesecloth and sugar in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the lemon juice and leave over night.
- Place two or three saucers into the freezer beforehand - to check the set.
- On a low heat, gently allow the sugar to dissolve in the saucepan. Once dissolved, turn the heat up and bring the jam to a rolling boil. Boil for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After about 5 minutes, check for a set, take one of the cold saucers out of the freezer, remove the jam from the heat and place a teaspoon of jam on the saucer, allow it to cool for a few seconds: if a crinkly skin has formed on the jam, then it has set. If it hasn't set, bring the mixture to the boil again for another 5 minutes and test again.
- Once set, remove the from the heat and allow the jam to cool for 5 minutes before ladling it into the warmed sterilised jars.
- Place a sprig of fresh lavender on top of the cooled jam and seal.
- Label your jars once completely cooled.