Shrove Tuesday: The best pancakes to make
Otherwise known as pancake day and a firm favourite here at Lavender Hill Clothing. We’ve compiled a few of our favourite pancake recipes for you to enjoy.
VEGAN GLUTEN FREE BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES
A delicious recipe inspired by buckwheat pancakes by Jamie Oliver
- 100 gr Buckwheat flour
- 37.5 gr Almond flour or ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- a pinch Salt
- half Ripe banana
- 150 gr Plant milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract Berries fresh or frozen
- Making these gluten free pancakes is easier than you think: you'll just need a blender, a bowl and a pan!
- Put buckwheat flour and almonds (or almond flour) into a food processor and blend until you get a nice and thin powder. Add a pinch of salt and baking powder. Put them into a bowl.
- Using the same food processor, blend banana, milk and vanilla. Jamie uses almond milk, but you can also use coconut milk, hazelnut milk, soy milk…
- Add the wet ingredients the flours and stir until you get a thick, creamy batter.
- Heat a pan with a drizzle of oil and, when hot, pour two/three tablespoons of batter.
- Place some berries on top, then cook the other side until golden brown.
- Serve your gluten free pancakes with agave or maple syrup, also yogurt and honey if not vegan.
GREEN PANCAKES WITH LIME BUTTER
A delicious savoury recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi's book Plenty
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of Chilly Flakes (Crushed red pepper
- 250g Spinach Leaves
- 90g Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder (12 grams)
- 1 Egg
- 60g Butter
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cumin (2 grams)
- ⅔ Cup Milk (157 grams)
- 6 Spring Onions
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 Egg Whites
- Remove stems from spinach and wilt leaves in pan with a splash of water. Drain leaves, let cool, squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Chop roughly.
- Put dry ingredients – flour, cumin, salt, baking powder, ground chilli in large mixing bowl and whisk together. Add egg yolks and milk whisk until smooth. Mix in spinach, spring onions and fresh herbs if using.
- Whisk egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold through batter.
- Heat cast iron frying pan, grease pan with butter or olive oil and ladle about 1/4 of batter onto the pan cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with a nob of butter and some maple syrup
BLUEBERRY AND LEMON PANCAKES
By Melissa Hemsley
- 2 ripe bananas (total 200g), peeled
- 100g quinoa flakes
- 180ml any milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- tiny pinch salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoon coconut oil (for frying)
- zest of 1/2 lemon (adding 1/2 to the pancake & 1/2 for sprinkling on top)
- For the blueberries: 2 tsp maple syrup 2 handfuls frozen blueberries juice of 1/2 lemon
- Place all the ingredients for the pancakes (except the oil) in a blender or food processor & whizz for about 30 seconds. Alternatively, mash the bananas with a fork & mix in a jug with all the remaining ingredients.
- Melt a little of the coconut oil in a large frying pan on a high heat.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the batter into the pan & use the back of the spoon to swirl into a rough circle about 1cm thick and 8cm wide. Repeat to make another two to three pancakes, depending on the size of your pan. Reduce the heat to medium & leave the pancakes to set for 1½ minutes. When they start to bubble, flip them over & cook for 1 minute on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the rest of the batter, using a little more of the coconut oil each time, until you have made eight pancakes. (Place the pancakes on a plate in a low oven to keep warm while you make the rest).
- Once your pancakes are made & keeping warm, whip up some coconut yoghurt or full fat natural yoghurt & gently heat up the blueberries, with a little maple syrup, in your pancake pan until they are hot through & softening.
- Serve your pancakes topped with yoghurt swirled with the berries & zest
SWEDISH MINI-PANCAKES WITH CREAM AND BERRIES
From Helene Henderson's Malibu Farm Cookbook - her book is filled with wonderfully delicious recipes.
- 3 Eggs
- 130g of flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 350ml milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Whipped cream
- Blend all the batter ingredients together.
- Heat a small saucepan and brush with butter.
- When the edges begin to brown (about 30 seconds), flip the pancake to cook the other side.
- Once done, remove the pancake and slide it onto a plate to keep warm.
- Continue on with additional pancakes until the batter is gone.
- Serve with berries and whipped cream.